Kosovo-Serbia dialogue to resume after February elections, says EU envoy Lajcak

COMMENTS

SHARE THIS
ARTICLE

Text sizeAa Aa

The European Union Special Representative for the Pristina-Belgrade dialogue, Miroslav Lajcak confirmed that the discussions between the two countries will not resume until Kosovo has wrapped up its election process.

“This is not the time to organize new meetings. We need a new government with a strong mandate that will continue the dialogue process,” Lajcak said.

As regards the changes in the US administration that will take place after the inauguration of Democrat Joe Biden as President of the United States on January 20, Lajcak said he was encouraged by the new appointments adding that “they do not need lessons about the region” because they are people familiar with the processes in the Western Balkans.

“I am optimistic because the new administration is appointing people who know the Western Balkans, who feel responsible for the region. Those who have already been appointed do not need to give lectures on the region. It is a new administration, but it is appointing proven people as partners of the EU and the Western Balkans,” he said.

However, the EU representative stressed that there had been no coordination between Brussels and Washington over the past year.

“Last year, there were definitely two tracks: European and American. It was not our choice to go separately. Our partners in the region were confused because they did not want to be in a position where they had toa choose,” the EU envoy concluded. 

 

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Democratic League of Kosovo gets €2.000 fine for violating COVID-19 measures

We have secured 1.220.000 vaccine doses, says Kosovo’s health minister

Tags

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Montenegro tragedy, Abazovic reacts: Stay close to victims’ families

The Prime Minister of Montenegro, Dritan Abazovic, described the incident in Cetinje as a tragedy, which left 11 dead and 10 injured. "I call on...

11 victims from an armed attack in Montenegro

A deadly attack has taken place in Cetinje, a town in Montenegro around 16:00 on Friday. 11 people died, while 10 were injured, among...

1 dead, 695 infected with COVID-19 in Albania

Out of 1.803 tests performed in the last 24 hours, 695 citizens have tested positive for COVID-19. One person lost his life whereas 319 citizens...




SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER