Bushati: Superpowers designed our Independence, Ismail Qemali couldn’t even have dreamed it

COMMENTS

SHARE THIS
ARTICLE

Text sizeAa Aa

Analyst Andi Bushati said on tonight’s ‘Shock’ that the country’s historical figure, Ismail Qemali has turned into a myth and that the true story behind the Albanian Declaration of Independence, is not what has been commonly taught to us.

Bushati argued that Ismail Qemali and the Albanian political elite at the time ‘couldn’t even imagine Albania’s independence in their wildest dreams’.

According to him, the political cast at the time, could at most, only think about becoming an autonomous region under the jurisdiction of the Ottoman Empire, but nothing wilder.

The analyst continued by saying that at that point, Albania’s independence wasn’t a political project or an initiative of the local political actors, but rather, it was a geostrategic calculation designed mainly by Austro-Hungary and very much less so, by Italy.

These two superpowers at the time were focused primarily on putting a halt to Serbia’s ambitions to claim parts of the Adriatic.

“Albania was being divided – Greeks were fighting for the Castle of Janina, the Montenegrins were fighting for the Castle of Shkodra, the Serbs had already taken over the entire vilayet of Kosovo and thus the entire existence of the Albanian land was in grave danger,” – said Bushati.

In addition, Bushati maintained that this side of history is never taught in schools, let alone shown in films.

On the other hand, analyst Baton Haxhiu called this ‘de-mythification’ of Ismail Qemali, possibly careless.

“What has gone down in history, is the act and gesture of Ismail Qemali, who regardless of everything, has followed a diplomatic path to at least have an independent Albanian something,” – said Haxhiu.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Tags

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Montenegro tragedy, Abazovic reacts: Stay close to victims’ families

The Prime Minister of Montenegro, Dritan Abazovic, described the incident in Cetinje as a tragedy, which left 11 dead and 10 injured. "I call on...

11 victims from an armed attack in Montenegro

A deadly attack has taken place in Cetinje, a town in Montenegro around 16:00 on Friday. 11 people died, while 10 were injured, among...

1 dead, 695 infected with COVID-19 in Albania

Out of 1.803 tests performed in the last 24 hours, 695 citizens have tested positive for COVID-19. One person lost his life whereas 319 citizens...




SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER